Tips for Healthy Grocery Shopping
But in general, you want to feed your family healthy foods, and that means starting with a healthy shopping list!
- Plan ahead! One of the best ways to keep your shopping on budget and healthy is to plan before you even get to the store. Don’t go shopping when you’re hungry (you’re more likely to buy items you can eat in the car going home, or items you really don’t need but that “look” good), and make sure that you have already perused coupons and weekly sales.
- Make sure that your list includes lots of variety (try swapping white potatoes for sweet potatoes, for example) so that your family will stay engaged with your healthy food choices.
- Most grocery stores start with the produce department, and so should you, In fact, you should spend the most time here! The healthiest foods are the freshest, and this is where you’re most likely to find locally sourced food as well.
- Don’t neglect the fish! The American Cancer Society recommends at least two services of fish a week. Why not try salmon—it’s rich in nutrients and doesn’t seem as “fishy” to kids as might other selections.
- Canned foods are convenient. You always want to have a supply of canned vegetables on hand: they can make a side dish by themselves, or can be tossed into salads, rice, soups or pasta dishes.
- Get creative around dairy! You don’t have to drink milk all day to get your required calcium: include drinkable and single-serve yogurt tubes for your kids’ consumption.
- Choose "real" foods like 100% fruit juice or 100% whole-grain items, ones that have as little processing and as few additives as possible.
- Remember that the healthiest foods are on the perimeters of the grocery store, and plan your visit accordingly.
Bliss Shurfine Food Mart has plenty of options for the healthiest eating possible… just ask any of our associates for help with any questions you might have! We’re committed to serving Manchester New York with the best, freshest, and healthiest grocery items available.